Springtime in Niagara- and before the leaves are on the trees- the orchards are alive with the colour of blossoms bearing the promise of summer fruit. It’s always a good time for a drive in Niagara’s countryside, but springtime is one of the most special because of the delicate, fleeting blossoms of the fruit trees, and the pale, pastel hues.
It’s beautiful to take a scenic drive alongside the rolling hills of orchard fruits. Usually at the end of April / beginning of May, the colours are in full bloom.
You can start your drive from the inner roads in Effingham and make your way to Jordan or Vineland. Along the way you will see trees, vineyards, rivers, the escarpment and several great conservation areas for hiking.
Here’s some directions for a DIY Blossom Scavenger Hunt
- From Hwy 406 – South (Sorry Northern Niagara Local’s, I’m a South Coast, gal. So, if you’re coming from North Niagara, read the list from bottom to top, and make sure you reverse the direction).
- Take Hwy 20 towards Fonthill – the blossoms start by the ‘Apple Bin’
- Right on Effingham Rd.(north) – where there are late bloomers along a beautiful country road with hills and meadows.
- Follow Effingham and stay left as it turns into Wessel Dr.
- Take a left on 8th Ave
- Right on 9th St. – here you will see the Rockway conservation area
- Left on King St. / Hwy 81 – lots of pink bloomers here
- Right on Jordan Rd – Drive up to the Upper Canada Cheese Company. Pick up cheese. Yum.
- Right on Honsberger Ave and north to south service road has lots of blossoms.
- Take the South Service road West to Vineland
- Left on Victoria Ave.
- John St. on your right has a lot of variety and blooms. This neighboorhood is excellent for seeing the spring colours.
- Another good place is Bartlett Rd. across the QEW. Here you can also stop at Legends Estate Winery / Foreign Affair Winery, the few Twenty Valley wineries located right along Lake Ontario.
Chances are though, if you’re driving in Niagara during blossom season, you’re bound to come across some blooms no matter what road you’re on. Enjoy the journey!